This post is from the series “Boost eCommerce Sales and Leads”.
In celebration of my new book, I am releasing these audio blogs to help you increase your eCommerce conversion rates…
SEO stands for search engine optimization. Wikipedia defines this as the process of affecting the visibility of a website or a web page in a search engine’s “natural” or unpaid (“organic”) search results. In general, the earlier (or higher ranked on the search results page) and more frequently a site appears in the search results list, the more visitors it will receive from the search engine’s users. This is essential to the foundation of your website. Having a great search engine strategy will help you build long-term success.
1. Find duplicate content and titles across your website.
2. Fix all the broken links on your e-commerce store. Google does not like broken links. Having a great way to fix those would ensure you’re increasing your search engine results.
3. Ensure you’re using keywords in your anchor links.
4. Avoid using too many keywords. Make each page of your e-commerce store keyword specific. It’s very easy to use too many keywords that will cannibalize your search engine results, and push your ranking down.
5. Regularly add new content to your home page and blog. Google and other search engine companies really like fresh, new content. The more you add new content, the more likely you will be able to increase your search engine rankings.
6. Improve your product descriptions. Do not use the manufacturer’s product description, as this has likely been used on many other websites. Make your product descriptions unique to your brand and your e-commerce site.
7. Add videos to your product detail pages. Title those videos with very similar keywords to the product detail pages that they live on. This will dramatically help your search engine ranking results.
8. Adjust your title tags to be more holiday-focused as the holiday season comes along. People will type holiday queries into search engines. You’ll now show up for those specific results.
9. Re-engineer what your competitors are doing. You can use tools like SpyFu and Moz to understand what your competitors are doing in search. That way, you can re-engineer what they’re doing and increase your search engine results as well.
10. Use alt tags on all of your images. Alt tags are added to your images to help improve your search engine rankings.
11. Use canonical URLs. This is a tag that you add to the header of your product page to ensure that each of your product pages don’t create duplicate content.
12. Create infographics for product-specific verticals. Tagging those infographics specifically will help you show up more in Google Images and other image results engines.
13. Get an SEO audit. Each quarter, you should have a professional SEO company perform a complete review of your search engine ranking. This is will give you specific instructions on the improvement you need to make to get your website listed on the first page of Google, Yahoo, and Bing. We use ePointDigital.com to perform inexpensive SEO audits.