This post is from the series “Boost eCommerce Sales and Leads”.
In celebration of my new book, I am releasing these audio blogs to help you increase your eCommerce conversion rates…
There are many different ways to increase traffic. We’ll start with how you could potentially do so without paying for it. The tactics will still take some time and effort, but for the most part, they are low cost or free ways to drive traffic to your website. Most of the tactics in this area are related to content marketing. Content marketing is any marketing that involves the creation and sharing of media and publishing content in order to acquire and retain customers. In fact, most of your content marketing can be scheduled ahead of time. This way, you can schedule the delivery and distribution in each marketing channel.
Using social media is a great way to increase traffic, but you need to have a great plan to do that. Using Twitter, you can:
- Find people in your specific vertical and help them with their needs. This will also allow you to build an understanding of what is going on in social media for your particular niche.
- Connect with your audience. When you start to build a list, understand what’s going on in Twitter and what exactly people are talking about there. Then connect with them, follow them, and have them follow you back. This will build up your relationship with your potential audience.
- Build a relationship with your customers. People buy from people. They don’t buy from websites. You want your e-commerce site to really reflect your relationship with your potential customers. Using Twitter will allow you to connect with them.
There are many different ways to promote your content on Facebook, but what you really want to do is tell a story. Create stories about your product and find ways to connect with your potential audience. Great ways to do that are:
- Run contests. Have contests running that help users understand more about the products and services that you have to offer.
- Entice fans of your Facebook page to create user-generated content. That way, people can create their own content revolving around the products you have on your e-commerce site.
- Create custom tabs with your best sellers. To do this, create a Facebook application tab that just lists some of your top products. This will allow you to have a page that essentially is promoting your e-commerce store within the Facebook realm.
- Create tabs with e-mail opt-in sign-up boxes. Go into Facebook and create another application tab that says “sign up to get special offers.” A user will click on it and be directed to a page where he or she has to enter his or her e-mail address to receive special offers and the latest product news and services that your e-commerce store has to offer. This will greatly improve your e-mail opt-in ratio.
Using Pinterest is a great way to promote your e-commerce site. You also want to create stories there.
- Pinterest has partnered with Shopify. This allows you to promote your e-commerce store or products within the Pinterest application. As people go into Pinterest, they will search for specific interests. They may find your page and see the e-commerce products you’re selling.
- Infographics work really well for SEO. Pinterest is all about graphics. So create specific infographics about the e-commerce products you’re selling. This is a great way to get more exposure on Pinterest.
SlideShare is a great way to create a PDF or slides. It gives you the opportunity to promote your e-commerce products in a different way.
- Offer tips based on the inventory you sell on your website. Each slide can have different products on it. You can offer tips about how a customer can use the product, or you can just provide information to help the user better relate with the products you’re offering.
- Show testimonials and reviews in each of the slides you have on Pinterest. As people scroll through their slides on SlideShare, you will now be showing off reviews and testimonials from your e-commerce store.
- Promote those slides on LinkedIn. This allows you to cross-promote your slides on LinkedIn and other websites.
Creating YouTube videos will help you show up better in search results and get people more familiar with your brand and the products you offer in your e-commerce store. To do that, you:
- Create video reviews. Creating video reviews of products on your e-commerce site will allow you to show up in search results more.
- Create video testimonials and put them on YouTube. Having video testimonials really helps people identify with what you’re selling. Also, using video testimonials is a great way to build social proof.
- Build a personality on YouTube. Having a spokesperson or someone who can talk about the products you’re offering on your e-commerce site will allow you to show up more prominently in the YouTube system and get more traffic from their site.
Creating a podcast is a unique way of connecting your audience and building your story over time. People will visit iTunes or certain podcast apps. They will search for a specific topic. When you are there to fill their need, you will be creating a personality within an audio medium that will help build your brand over time. Having a podcast will:
- Develop your story. When people listen to your podcast, they will better understand how your products can help them in their daily lives.
- Solve problems for people that are using specific products. If someone is searching for a specific type of vertical or industry, you will be there with your podcast to help him or her better understand how to use the products you’re selling.
- Dramatically improve your reach. People will consume your content in many different ways. Some people like videos or blogs, while others like to listen to audio. Creating a podcast will allow your message to show up in popular audio software like iTunes.
- Add calls to action. Insert promotion or audio calls to action at the beginning and end of your podcast to entice people to visit your website.
- Get feedback. Creating a podcast involves a lot of technical knowledge and understanding of the medium. In order to help me create my podcast, I used the services of Jared Easley from StarveTheDoubts.com.
- Blog posts
Before the holiday season starts, create a lot of blog posts centered around the products you are offering in your e-commerce store. The most popular resources to use for blogging include WordPress, Tumblr, and Blogger.
- Feature holiday-themed content prior to the holiday season starting. You will show up more on search engine results and have people share your content for specific products that you’re offering in your e-commerce store.
- Do product reviews and feature your best-selling items. Doing product reviews as blog posts will allow you to create product-specific content for your verticals and have people read about and get more familiar with your brand over time.
- Build trust and credibility. Tell your story over a period of time with your customers. This will help improve the sales from your e-commerce store.
- Solicit guest posts. Find other blogs in your niche and become a guest blogger. This is a great way to drive traffic to your website, get back links for SEO, and build your authority in your business vertical. Also invite other people to guest post on your blog.
Paying for Website Traffic
There are many different ways to pay for traffic. In order to drive more traffic to your website and eventually get a good return, you’ll need to pay for it. You can purchase traffic on various platforms. You are going to need to experiment to figure out the right media channels for you. If you are just getting started, it may be best to find a company that can purchase traffic for you. These media buyers are more experienced and may be able to negotiate better deals for specific ad buys. If you plan to run pay-per-click campaigns, I recommend you hire an experienced company. Managing this can be difficult, and it is very easy to waste a lot of money fast. Here are the tops ways to pay for website traffic.
- Pay Per Click (PPC)
- This includes AdWords, Bing, and all the big ad networks.
- Have dynamic ads based on specific products. Using pay-per-click advertising is a great way to promote product-specific advertising campaigns in your ads.
- Product Listing Ads are great ways to show your products in the search results with an image of the item. Product Listing Ads are search ads that include richer product information, such as product image, price, and merchant name, without requiring additional keywords or ad text.
- Hire a professional to manage your campaigns. Doing pay per click (PPC) is difficult and takes a lot of time. If not done right, you will lose a lot of money. The company we recommend to manage your PPC is located at FlexLeads.com.
- Editorial purchases
- This is where you buy ads on other people’s newsletters in the same vertical. You can also buy ads with Outbrain.com. Buying content marketing ads is a great way to create editorial spots on other people’s websites.
- You can partner with other similar companies, which involves bartering for inventory of your media. You can trade spots on your website, where you have specific banners or marketing campaigns with potential partners. This will provide you with additional advertising opportunities.
- Retargeting has become very popular over the last few years. As soon as people visit the e-commerce site, they get cookied. A cookie, also known as an HTTP cookie, web cookie, or browser cookie, is a small piece of data sent from a website and stored in a user’s web browser while the user is browsing that website. Every time the user loads the website, the browser sends the cookie back to the server to notify the website of the user’s previous activity. Then when they go back to other sites on the web, your advertisements will now show up to those people. To do retargeting, you can use AdRoll, Perfect Audience, Facebook, and Google Display Network.
- I highly recommend every e-commerce site have an affiliate marketing program with Commission Junction, ShareASale, ClickBank, LinkShare, and so on. Affiliate marketing is a great way to have a bigger sales team. Some tips for affiliate marketing include:
- Purposely put coupon codes out online to incentivize people to buy. As people go through your shopping cart experience and see that you may offer coupon or promo codes, this will make them think about visiting other websites to see if there are other promo codes out there. When they go to other sites and see that there are promo codes they can use, this will help you close more sales.
- Affiliate marketing is great with banner and text link advertising. Creating an inventory of marketing material will have your affiliates promote more of your content.
- Have holiday-specific affiliate marketing campaigns.
- Facebook advertising is a great way to target your specific audience and sell your e-commerce products. Facebook has created on of the most sophisticated advertising platforms online. You can target your ideal audience easier than any other advertising channel.
- Facebook is also coming out with e-commerce buy buttons so you can buy directly from Facebook pages.
- Twitter cards allow you to create advertising campaigns to target people in your vertical. It’s a great way to collect e-mails and get people on to your special offer e-mail list.
- Barter deals
- Affiliate marketing
- Facebook advertising
- Twitter cards