This post is from the series “Boost eCommerce Sales and Leads”.
In celebration of my new book, I am releasing these audio blogs to help you increase your eCommerce conversion rates…
One of the best ways to make more money from your e-commerce website is to increase the average order size of a customer’s purchase. There are many strategic ways to accomplish this goal. While this process can be unique to your products and services, it is important to experiment with trying to get customers to buy more items from you. This can involve a different strategy for new visitors versus returning customers. The end result will be a large lifetime value of customers and increased profit.
- Increasing the average orders. Generating more profit and increasing your conversion rates from your marketing campaigns will help increase your bottom line.
- Determine the 80/20. Most e-commerce sites make 80 percent of their revenue off 20 percent of their inventory. Understand what that 20 percent is, and promote those products throughout your site. That way, you can get more people to purchase in a shorter period of time.
- Promote best sellers. Many e-commerce sites will have a list of best sellers. Promote those best sellers to all of your new visitors. This will help decrease the time it takes someone to actually purchase items. People want to be told exactly what to purchase. Displaying your best sellers across your website is a great way to do that.
- Free shipping over seventy-five dollars. Free shipping promotion is a great way to increase your average order value. Show on the shopping cart that a customer is x amount away from getting free shipping. This will incentivize people to add more items to the cart so that they can get free shipping.
- Add related items to your product pages. Showing related items is a great way to tell people what other people have purchased. Have messaging like “Customers that purchased this item also purchased these items.” That way, people can click on other items if they’re not necessarily interested in the items that they landed on.
- Add popular low-cost items as upsells. Adding low-cost items to other areas of your e-commerce store will get people to purchase more items and increase your average order value.
- Gift wrap options. During the holiday season, many people will want their items gift wrapped. Having an upsell for gift wrap options is a great way to increase your average order value.
- Decrease the time to order. The quicker people purchase, the more they will purchase over a period of time. Determine all the touch points that people will engage with your site, and find ways to get them to buy even quicker.
- Buy x, get one free. Add special offers to specific products to incentivize customers to order more items in exchange for a discount.